How to make concrete block shed safe. Is it repairable or a knock down job? Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boyfriend had a man build a concrete block shed over 10 years ago. There was tree in the neighbours garden and after it was chopped down massive cracks apparently started appearing in the wall in that corner, so assumed foundations movement ( concrete base to shed). Last year when I moved in I kicked off that it needs looking at. We put spacers to see if there was still movement or if it had stopped. This spring when I popped my head inside the shed to get lawnmower, one of the spacers has actually fallen off and the cracks are huge! The crack in the side wall is both horizontal and vertical - it has created a free standing wall that doesn't seemed joined to the back wall?

Also crack above door is worse, where render fallen off looks it like no lintel was put in and wooden frame of door is all that is supporting the above bricks etc! Eek!

I've since banned us from going inside the shed and warned neighbour to stay away from that corner, but they have a dog.

How best to make it safe so that we can get to our stuff for now, and can be repaired or is it a knock down job? We want to sell and move this year.

Clearly it needs lintel put in above the door and rebuild there. Side wall, if lots of movement still, what are the options to ensure roof supported and no bricks fall on anyone.

Scary photos attached.

Initial thoughts are to buy acrows to support the roof at that end in both corners. What about door so we can still go in and out? Plus the free standing wall?

Been quoted £600 to put acrows up which seems a bit steep!

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_140202.jpg
    IMG_20230403_140202.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20230403_140152.jpg
    IMG_20230403_140152.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20230403_130020.jpg
    IMG_20230403_130020.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20230403_130017.jpg
    IMG_20230403_130017.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 82
Sponsored Links
I’m no expert but I’d say that needs coming down and rebuilding on proper foundations.

Side wall pictures and front of shed picture didn't load. These are them.
IMG_20230403_130033.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_130000.jpg
    IMG_20230403_130000.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230403_140132.jpg
    IMG_20230403_140132.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 45
@Mottie I was wondering if that might be the case and then just put a cheaper wooden shed up, but of course hoping we can save it with min agro. We want to spend minimum as we'd like to move. It is rammed full of bits Inc storage of his ex's stuff. Will need to make it safe enough to go in a move thing stuff out to somewhere!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks like it has a lintel above the door already.

Presuming this is a single skin thick (one block) and it’s built on a concrete base. Is the base cracked to bits in the corner where the tree was removed? Certain soils are more prone to movement and when trees are involved can create problems… like clay based soils, do you know what the tree was?

Think I’d be inclined to bin and start again (as it’s still moving) as mottie had mentioned.

As for acro props, you could buy these off FB marketplace, they are a doddle to use, probably get some for £20 each (ish) and do it yourself.

If it's condemned then just knock it down and dispose of it, otherwise that's what any buyer will have to do or factor in when they buy it (and would you want a new owner nosing around it after they'd bought your house anyway). Don't waste money building a new shed in its place. You seem a bit paranoid, I don't think it would worry me going in there to move my stuff out. Storing stuff for his ex? What's that all about? Leave her crap in there for her to collect, if it collapses whilst she's in there then that's a win win, saving on the demo too.

Last edited:
As above, and don't waste £600 on that crook and his acrows - the roofs not going anywhere and is probably the main element holding the walls together - until someone starts jacking it up.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back