How to make Glass Wardrobe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have sliding wardrobe. I want to keep the sliding doors, but change the wardrobe internals.

I want to make a glass wardrobe. I got the idea, when I got fed up of my kitchen high wall cabinet, I could never see what was on each shelf.

I have two ideas :-

(i) Conti Board and then have glass shelfs. Like an H frame. Where left and right hand side is wood and only the shelf are glass.

(ii) Completely glass. So make an H frame So the left and right hand side is glass, as well a the shelves.

I was going to use standard IKEA glass shelves.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60142657/#/00223821

IKEA make them in two sizes:
40cm (w) x 48cm (d)
80cm (w) x 48cm (d)

| |
+---+
| |
+---+
| |
+---+
| |
+---+

If I got option 2, then I will need to get vertical glass custom made. About 230cm high and 48cm deep. (but how would they get attached to the floor and ceiling?)

I have one, where can I get the to attach glass to the wall?

---
For hanging clothes, I am on the look out for some sort of metal frame (but that is another question!)
---

Sponsored Links
You will still have view of contents obscured as soon as you place something on the shelf, unless you buy see thru clothes.

Glass is used for display purposes, but is far from ideal as a load-bearing material unless you are willing to accept lamination (visible at the edges) and relatively thick glass, which has obvious weight implications. In order to suspend shelves conventionally you'd need to be able to drill the glass sides to take shelf pins, but they would place enormous stress on the glass and I suspect you get chipping in use. TBH I think that you'd be better thinking in terms of something like clear acrylic plastic for the main structure and perhaps a free-standing stainless steel or chromed steel wirework unit inside the outer box. This would side-step the issue of making your carcass do a lot of support work whilst making the materials thinner and cheaper (it still has to be thick enough to support iteslf). Acrylic can be worked (drilled, sawn, routed) with woodworking tools in the main, the edges polished by a semi-skilled person, it can be glued (Tensol 70, etc), it can be haet formed, it is less likely to be dangerous if broken, etc. Just a few thoughts, anyway.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back