how to make/host a web page

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to make a very simple web page very quickly.
I've got Photoshop and can make the page, but my web hosing company says that I need to upload it to my web space with an FTP client such as
"Filezilla". Can anyone explain exactly what a web client is? Also I use Mac OSX 4.2 and Filezilla only works on OSX 5 so I need a suitable web client.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't OS X have an FTP client? Even Windoze has one.

What happens when you type ftp at a command prompt?

can you not google for one?

are you sure you can make a page in photoshop that you can upload to the www? (i am not saying you can't i just don't know) I use MS FrontPage, it lets you make the page, then upload it.

Sponsored Links
can you not google for one?

are you sure you can make a page in photoshop that you can upload to the www? (i am not saying you can't i just don't know) I use MS FrontPage, it lets you make the page, then upload it.

Yes I can save a page in P/shop as an html page and when I click on it the image opens up in Firefox. Not sure where to go from there though.

I have started Googling re a freebie FTP client and will continue. I now know it means File Transfer Protocol and that it's needed for my Mac to set up a connection to my hosting companies server.
What I don't understand is why I can't just email them the page to host.

I also found out about having your own blog site last night, and that seems so simple that I will definitely have a go. For this project though I need to use my domain name/web address so I guess that's why I need to send files to my hosting company.
Incidentally how do you upload your pages? Do you go to your hosting companies website or something?

Thanks

AJ

What I don't understand is why I can't just email them the page to host.

Why would you? Have you read your hosts FAQ ?

Incidentally how do you upload your pages? Do you go to your hosting companies website or something?

With your free FTP client.

I tried typing FTP into the search box but nothing which looked relevant was found

I am stunned that you can create a webpage in PS , but can't use Google :confused:

I googled 'mac osx 4.2 ftp client'.

This one appeared - give it a whirl!

http://www.download.com/Captain-FTP/3000-2160_4-10408634.html[/QUOTE]

Re the search I wasn't referring to Google but to searching FTP on the Mac as BAS suggested. Don't worry I am not that bad at Googling!
Thanks for the link I have actually downloaded the freebie Classic FTP now and just starting to investigate it. Already I have managed to connect to my site but now need to figure out how to upload a specific file. Clara is my client company but their FAQs are not that good. Seems that I'm well on the way at the moment, it's all new so I'm learning fast.

Re the search I wasn't referring to Google but to searching FTP on the Mac as BAS suggested.
I didn't suggest that.

I'm not a Mac user, but to me "finder" doesn't sound like "command prompt", or "shell". (But not being a Mac user means I could be completely wrong there).

What I suggested was typing ftp on a command line, aka command prompt, aka shell prompt to see if an ftp client starts up. Or in a shell you could type man ftp and see if there's a man page....

don't the hosting company offer cpanel or some thing similar

eg www.yourdomain.com/cpanel

that will allow you to upload files

cpanel will also include software in the folder called fantastico which will allow you to install blogs (wordpress) or content management systems such as joomla and nucleus or drupal.

You then just select a template and add your own images and text.

These are data base driven and far superior/complex to anything that you could build in photoshop.

Sponsored Links
Back