Can you see BBC web pages abroad?

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of ours who has moved to Sweden says that he can't see the BBC news web pages. He is very computer savvy. Now I thought that in the more or less free world you could display any url you liked, even my humble web pages. When I look at bbc.co.uk and click on news you go to news.bbc.co.uk, where there is an international setting and the option of 35 different languages. Now I'm in the UK and can't test this, but surely that means that the BBC web pages can be seen abroad?

Sponsored Links
I believe it depends what you're looking at.

I think that as UK residents pay for the BBC by licence fees, they give us lots of free access

Other parts (esp programme reruns) will be subject to copyright which will be different per country.

Edited: Grr!
twelve seconds on the BBC website searching on "overseas access" bring up lots of links like http://www.bbc.co.uk/wannabes/nonuk/

FAQs

Why is content available to UK residents only?

I'm a UK licence fee payer currently overseas - how do I access BBC video and audio content?

If only there was some way you or your friend could have found this :rolleyes:

Thanks, John. I have indeed spent considerably more than 12 secs searching, but as BBC occurs a great many times in web pages it is difficult to find the correct info. True, I didn't look at the Wannabes web pages, whatever they are, but this refers to streaming programs abroad, not what I asked in the original post.

However, I have followed your advice and searched for overseas access on the bbc website, and amongst the 50,000 hits are several from overseas users implying that they can view and are viewing BBC news pages online.

As for the reason why my friend can't see them in Sweden, I shall talk to him privately (unless anyone has the answer here).

Rgds.

Sponsored Links
Kes, I noted that it was web pages, not re runs.

I have tried to run re runs of American tv prog & couldnt but I could view there web pages.

I'm in Germany at the moment, and can see them fine. Don't think I've ever had a problem anywhere in the world, tbh...

might have trouble with certain pages in China but Sweden I dont think censors content to my knowledge

:LOL: :LOL: Are the pages 'pre' translated as to where you view them from too ??? :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

as a regular visitor to sweden, I always log on to the bbc news to keep track of events:cool:

He is very computer savvy.
If he's that savvy, then why hasn't he already used a packet capture tool and analysed the response from the web server to determine the cause of his problem?

Oh I dunno. He's far younger than me and always building pc's and networks and installing Linux and stuff. I can't really say what his trouble is, in fact I don't know anything more than he was complaining that he can't get BBC news. I'll pass on the comments here, ta.

From my experience (including Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia & Thailand, amongst other European countries) accessing BBC web pages is no problem. There might be the occasional page blocked or your link might be terminated occasionally.
But accessing BBC iTube and movies/film clips contained within pages is more often than not blocked.

Accessing any UK TV programs is also problematic.

There is a solution. I'm not completely up-to-speed on it.
You have a PC at home in the UK, linked to the TV signal and you link to that PC from wherever you are in the world. Then there's no restrictions.

There is a solution. I'm not completely up-to-speed on it.
You have a PC at home in the UK, linked to the TV signal and you link to that PC from wherever you are in the world. Then there's no restrictions.
And speed is the problem...

If you set up a VPN (virtual private network), then you are reliant on the upload speed of the 'UK PC', which is usually a fraction of the download speed - hence the TV 'signal' won't have the required bandwidth.

Plus the UK PC will always have to be on, and 'wake up LAN' is often unreliable.

Sponsored Links
Back