Got an opinion? Then I'm sure you can answer this..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short, I've got an industrial building with permission for change of use. It's going to need some windows cutting in the front wall but no one in the family can agree a design, so I thought I'd ask the wider public with an interest in building, for their thoughts

Having a friend whose company does market research and has the tools for this, I've borrowed use of them. Clicking the link below will take you to a forum (no login needed) where you can use the Pencil/Line tools in the top right of the building, sketch some windows on the building façade (directly on the web page, no need to download, edit and re-upload).
There's also a text box where you can write your DIYnot username and some thoughts if you'd like.

I'm so sick of drawing designs that no one in the family likes that if someone from here comes up with a design that the family goes for, I'll PayPal them twenty quid to buy some beers for saving me a headache!

http://bb2.visionslive.com/Default.aspx?hkey=UcnlX5uPVP

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Make the window frames go up through both stories - this keeps the larger, industrial scale of the facade intact (the small windows on the little inset drawing look arbitrary and lost).

Where the window frame crosses the floor, include a spandrel of different colour, eg dark glass? but let the frame stand out.

Finish the top of the windows in a cambered arch to reflect the main doorway.
I've drawn the windows a bit wide - perhaps they should be narrower?

Thanks tony - yours is a better version of something I suggested to the father in law after seeing this local building:

View media item 66375
I drew this up looking like this (marked as D):

View media item 66376
but couldn't get him to go for it. I'll put your tweaks in cos I do think they look better and more in keeping with the general style of the front and see how it goes :D

Maybe we'll get away with bigger windows if we recreate the effect of the stonework by sandblasting mortar lines into the glass, leaving clear parts as the coursed stone.. I've got a sandblaster and a vinyl cutter I could make stencils with..

Sponsored Links
ps, I should have made it more clear that it's possible on that link, to just draw on top the building that's posted, using the tools in the top right of the whiteboard area - sorry if my bad instructions put you to the inconvenience of tracing, sketching, scanning and uploading..

Funbelievable, he actually went for it! Your arch topped design, split not with a frosted panel but by keeping a bit of stonework. PM me your paypal email address and I'll send you something to get a drink on me..

View media item 66385

Good design by Tony indeed.
Some people have a flair for that kind of thing.

Will the building be used for flats for renting out?

Funny, an architect friend who took the blank wallplan away weeks ago came back with the exact same design :)

the building is to be converted to two houses, one for me and my s.o. To have as a family home and the other for my father in law.. Thinking free babysitting :)
a scheme of ten flats was possible but it's too intensive a use for the site considering the rural character

Sponsored Links
Back