How to make kitchen cupboard / cabinet doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone pls suggest some methods to make cupboard doors?

I'm planning on using T&G 'slats' for the centre of a door, say 1/2" or 3/8" thick. Then making a mortise and tennon or mitre'd frame from 3/4" planks.

What I can't really picture is how to join/attach the inner T&G part to the outer frame...?

I can think of maybe two slats across the inner side, or pretending the T&G part is like glass and using beading to hold it in place. Is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo simon wray

assuming its 9mm txg you can either fully assemble and glue cut a 9mm rebate out of the back square the corners accuratley cutting the txg to length and starting with a half width board fill in the space slightly springing in [2mm to tight]
glue the pannel in on two equal doors at the same time put them back to back and clamp with clamping blocks in place

or with a half inch router and table use these
http://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?closeUp=96990

and take enough out the thickness of the txg to allow it to sit in the groove[you only remove round the edges to give you a shoulder ]

you dont need m x t joins with these cutters you only glue the surface contact area
this is the way that most comercial cupboard doors are made[except they have panels rather than tounge and groove ;) ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back