How To Make Kitchen Cupboard Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm after some advice on how best to construct kitchen cupboard doors from scratch, using the kit I have available.

Level of skill - I've made a wall-running carcas/cupboard for boiler, belfast sink & washing m/c from hardwood, which is very sturdy, although plain.

Noteworthy tools available; 1/2" router, compound mitre saw, jigsaw & workmate.

My thought is that I can rout along a (e.g.) 3"x1" length of timber to give it a lip, then cut this into 4 for the 2x Stiles & 2x Rails.

Then need to rout a groove in the top & tail of the two stiles & then corresponding tung's for the rails.

Finally use 1/2" slats for the centre of the door, which rests on the routed lip/recess.

My two areas of doubt are how best to rout the grove in the Stiles using my hand-held router on a B&D workmate. The second being whether my idea for the centre of the door is the right way to go, or is there a better option.

Thanks for any help.
Simon.

Sponsored Links
You could save yourself a lot of hassle and just buy them from b&q.

you can use a buscuit cutter in your router a dowel set
or iff you have a 1/2 inch router and a table then you can use a cabinet door set

cheapest option is biscuit or dowel option
if you need a step by step guide i will talk you through it ;)

Sponsored Links
Plain 18mm mdf and improve design with router, you will need the bit required to sink hinge holes assuming you are using standard kitchen hinges?

Get a 6mm slot cutter for your router as its easier than using a straight bit and balancing the router on the edge of the rail/style and use the joints shown below

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

Use 6mm board for the panel, you can use a "V" bit in the router if you want this to look boarded. Get the 18mm stuff ripped down into strips at the suppliers or buy a cheap tablesaw. Preferably us e MR MDF as it gives a better finish and will resist the humid kitchen air.

Jason

Thanks for the responses - done it now.

The door only needed to be ~8" wide by ~32" high, so I could of used a single board, but I wanted a 'recessed' look with a stile/rails look to it.

So, after Jasonb's message (thanks!), I checked my router bits and found a 1/4" rabbetting bit. I used this to groove 44mm x 18mm lengths of ash for the stiles & rails. I then planned a length of ash board down to 1/4" thick and used this to effectively join the four sides all together, gluing it and clamping with sash cramps.

Looks fine now. I think if the door needed to be larger, then I would need a better way to join the corners of the rails and stiles, but it is strong and with no obvious joint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back