Glazed French Doors - NEED HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I can't find shop brought internal French Doors to fit our dividing space.

I've had quotes back from carpenters, this has turned out to be prohibitive.

So, I've got to make them myself.

I just have a few questions about the doors.

THE GRID THAT HOLDS THE GLASS

1) When you see regular French doors, with say 4 down and 3 across glass panels - is the grid that holds the glass just one section?

For example: 2 vertical bars laid over 3 horizontal bars, which creates the 'grid' - is this then positioned within the door section?

Is this right, or is there another way to hold the glass?

If so, what ROUTER BIT should I be looking for?

There are so many, a name would be helpful.

For instance I've looked at "2 piece Stile & Rail BEAD bits", for cabinet doors, but they only produce a flat section on the inner closed door.

I want the profile to be similar on both sides when the doors are open.

If this grid is just one piece - what is the best way to join the intersection pieces together (so that it looks like one unit)

Is there a router bit for this?

I'm looking to buy a router table and 1/2" router.

2) Will a 1/2" router be OK for a 35mm width stiles and rails?

Or should I go for 1/4" (I've got a box of 1/4" bits from years ago, before my router got nicked).

I've got to build 4 sections: 536mm wide (21") - First and last will be fixed - centre two are the openers.

Each door section will have 8 rectangle glass lights (2 by 2 going down) the glass will be 14" x 8"

(haven't worked out the exact measurements yet).

3) Is Cope & Stick the best way for stiles and rails?

Any help, tips or guidance would really be appreciated on any part of this project.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Sponsored Links
iirc the bit you need is bl00dy expensive @£50 and that was for a 1/4 bit,i had 1 bought for me when i had to carry out repairs to a few sash windows.
iirc alsfords sell the profile you need.

Personally a would say you will spend a lot more time and money on nice wood and the amount you will waste routering out for glazed pannels,am sure if you look around you will find cheap ones that are still pretty good quality try orchard timber products use them al the time and they're range of internal doors is one of the best i have seen ,best of luck if you decide to make them yor self if so a would do three channels from top to bottom and put three bits of glass in and just glue the beads onto the glass with some clear silicone to get the spars gone across save you time as well as money,hope that some use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back