fitting new glass in door frame.....help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The panes of glass either side of themain door need to be changed due to being cracked as well as very weak (pieces of glass in lead frame)

Now the depth is small and I want to fit double glazed panes there and unable to. Is there anyway of increasing the depth, so I can put the glass in and then bead it?

was thinking of a router but dont thing it will get to the corners

any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
about the only thing that will deal with the corners is a wood chisel.

i'm sure you can buy a wood moulding that fits inside a standard rebate and forms a deeper one. these would be glued & pinned-in and sit proud of the existing door surface.

the proud part of the moulding is nosed or rounded.

before using a router,scribe a line for the corners,using either a marking gauge or a straight edge with a knife,go as far as the router will allow then using a chisel pare out the timber carefully,you could also obtain a corner chisel to form a decent corner,ive got 1 of those sprung loaded ones but i have seen a proper corner chisel was a bit of a beast.

Sponsored Links
you can also do it by tacking beading or battens to the frame to push your extra pane against. that way you can use a 6mm or even a 6.5mm laminated if you like and keep the leaded light if you want.

You have to ventilate the cavity to the outside to prevent misting. You can do this by drilling say a 4mm hole downwards at a diagonal from the bottom and just putting a pinhole in the batten. A bit of fibreglass wadding in the hole will keep dust and insects out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back