Shaker doors

managed to have a play today With some ogee edging on few shelves, worked great. Found the end cut a little tricky as quite large gap in between bit on fence, narrow stock wants to move off line towards bit.
Tried a squaring piece? Glue a strip of sandpaper onto the edge which is pushing the material. Helps you to grip it and helps stop it moving as you cut - just stop a but shy of the cutter.

The other trick is a false fence (what the Yanks call a zero clearance fence). Set your entire fence forward of the cutter. Fix a piece of sacrificial material (say 6mm MDF/plywood) onto the front of the fence, full height, full length. Turn the router on. Unlock the fence, and from the front and with your hands well away from the cutter push the cutter onto the fence so that it plunges (slowly) through. Your T&G set has a nut and bearings so it won't go all the way through. For cutter sets like that you have to switch off, pull the fence forwards again , remove the fence from the router table completely then cut-out the waste to clear the bearing and the nut (jigsaw, padsaw, etc) before refitting and replunging to the required depth. Standard practice on spindle moulders

Sponsored Links
Great, will do that. Should help.
I have got spacer/8 set.
These are all the bits from pack, bottom pic is the spare bag. I have also found out I can get 6mm veneered ply now :oops:
this makes grooves easier, however still need the 21mm width.

I have also found out I can get 6mm veneered ply now :oops:
this makes grooves easier, however still need the 21mm width.
TBH I don't think that the 6mm plywood will help you. The problem is that your groovers aren't wide enough to machine the tongue joints in a single pass. So you are left with either having to use a thicker plywood and make the grooves in 2 passes OR you need to make the tongue in 2 passes OR you need to replace one of your groove cutters with another of identical diameter, but greater height of cut OR you need to be working with 18 or 19mm material. Of those the easiest to achieve is probably thicker panels and cut the groove in 2 passes.

The diffficulty is that the Trend groovers you are using are 41.0mm diameter, which is a bit of an odd diameter for a groover, so unlike a more general groover set, like these where you could have swapped-out one of the 1/4in high cutters for a wider one (the problem being that such flexibility costs more). I know that Trend sell all the parts for your set separately, but I don't know if it would be possible to fix two groovers one above the other at the bottom of your arbor, or even how safe that would be. Without a response from Trend Technical I wouldn't even consider it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back