recladding garage door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of old side-opening gargage doors that I would like to reclad. I plan on leaving the frame and just pulling off the old tongue and groove. Then getting some new timber and recladding. Each door has a framed edge with with t&g inside it. I will have to replace both.

Here are my questions -

1) what's the best timber to use to reclad - treated? untreated, t&g or not - (I imagine it is best to keep things as lightweight as possible)

2) any tips on using t&g cladding ( i heard that they should not be pressed tightly together to allow for expansion)

3) what's the best way to attach the cladding (i don't have a nail-gun!)

That was all part of my original idea - but then I thought - could I put a small window into each door to allow some light in. The problem is the top diagonal brace on the door. I would need to remove it, and the solidity of the door would be lost, and it would most likely sag and fall apart. Can it be done? if so how?

Sponsored Links
(1) treated
(2) just push it together
(3) use a hammer :rolleyes:

fitting a window may not be a good idea as you seem not to have a clue :eek:

why not make new doors

hammer? of course! what I meant was the kind of nail, should I pre-drill the hole. Ideally I'd like to use something like a lost head type, maybe fill over any holes left and then prime.

I only wanted a long thin window at the top of each door. WHat I was wondering was if I removed the diagonal top brace, could I create a a sort of ladder on its side and then have the window sitting on that. get some beading for inside and out and then paint the whole thing. I might need to draw a sketch.

A bit harsh Merlin, but not innacurate.

Might be worth while investing in a decent joinery book that explains how to make a door such as this. it's not rocket science, and you have the old door to take a copy of measurements and joints. The existing frame will likely break apart if you try removing the cladding.

If standard sizes a local door or timber supplier can provide a pair of windowed doors from about £150.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that. I remember the old days when this forum was useful, friendly and informative.

what more could be said!

(1) you take the old wood off and replace it, simples.
(2) you make a new door not so simples
(3) a window can be fitted if you have the skill

as for the (i don't have a nail-gun!) that is the last thing you want unless you are making hundreds of doors :)

Less work involved to make new doors that wont have a near rotten frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back