Problem with T&G door facing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've made a nice-looking cellar door 1m x 1m, with 125mm T&G facing glued and screwed to a ledged and braced frame made out of 3" x 1". Trouble is, the T&G has expanded widthways with the weather, and the whole thing is now curved across its width :)

I've now separated the T&G from the frame (it's now 2mm wider than the frame), and the frame is flat again. How should I reconstruct the door to prevent warping? Should I reconstruct whilst the timber is 'weathered' and use just one screw (and no glue) at one edge of each piece of T&G so that it gives it a chance for the facing pieces to contract in dry weather?

Sponsored Links
I would not use glue and leave a small movement gap on t&g. If you only had 2mm movement on 8 boards, gap would not have to be that big.

Also try one screw near the middle of each board and give the hole a bit of clearance

Agreed with fitter, should not glue the T&G at all only the frame joints instead.

This is why the laminated glued flooring type have to have a expansion joint round the edge.

Thanks for this, guys. I thought I'd overdone the glueing at the time. Single screws, it is, but near to one edge so that the screw holds down both pieces by virtue of the T&G.

Sponsored Links
some things to keep in mind

you should store timber in the area your going to use it
to acclimatise so the moisture levels are ballanced

t and g cladding hasnt got much of a tounge
so if your cellar is likely to dry out it may
shrink and leave a gap

i would suggest you try and get it to average moisture content
screw or nail on one edge as you say and leave a 1mm gap

then seal with 2 or three good coats to try and keep it stable

good luck

big all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back