To glue or not to glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked to help make a pair of replacment garage doors for my father in law. He has suggested that they be made from a 6x2 mortised frame with the centre sections filled with vertical T&G floor boards. One question I have is whether to glue the boards together or just rely on screwing them to the cross rails. I've no doubt that glue will lead to a generally more sturdy construction but will it just split if the wood swells?

My father in law is also planning to paint with the same general fence paint/preservative used on his adjoining garden fence. Any thoughts on whether this will give an appropriate seal to the doors would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I would not glue the T&G joints, this will allow the boards some movement without risk of splitting.

If the joints are tight then there should be little risk of water penitration.

It is worth giving the boards a coat of preservative/stain befor fixing as if they shrink you will see the uncoated tongues.

Jason

I'd agree with Jason but re the fence paint stuff you're thinking of using. This stuff weathers down too quickly (how many times do you see people re-painting their fences every 12 months or 2 years).

I'd use something like the Ronseal wood stainer stuff that's guarantee'd 5 years (allegedly ;) ), gives a much nicer/professional finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back