Is this joint strong enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Looking for some advice as a paranoid father and pretty inexperienced woodworker on whether the bunk beds I've built will be strong enough, given that my younger daughter is lying underneath the top bunk.

I've put some photos below, but basically the sides of the bed are 1x6 planks, mortised into the 4x4 corner posts, so I'm happy they're not going anywhere. The 2x2 battens that support the (12 2x4) slats though are glued and screwed onto them, so I wanted some more experienced heads to tell me if that's going to be strong enough.

So, the details ... I applied a thin layer of glue to both sides of the joint; clamped it for 24 hours or so; and then also put in 8/9 screws from the outside (i.e. first 1/3 in the 1x6, last 2/3 in the 2x2 batten). Logic is saying that glued joints are often as strong as the wood itself and that the screws themselves might almost be enough to hold them on their own. I also "tested" them by carefully lifting my 150kg fat ass off the ground just using the rails, and they didn't even slightly shift or make a noise.

So, am I worrying needlessly? Difficult to be entirely logical about this when it comes to concerns about the safety of your kids, but I think my lack of experience is the biggest problem here. Would very much welcome your more experienced thoughts!

In-progress picture, showing general construction
bed1.jpg

In-progress picture, showing the rails more closely
bed2.jpg

Finished product (to assuage any curiosity)
bed3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I cant see any problems.

Because you have housed the rails into the posts, all of the weight is supported by the shoulders of the joint.

The weakest part is the 2 screws at each end holding the rails -kids could try to climb up the sides pulling the rails out sideways -but theres a pretty big glue area to resist any pull and Im sure you used quite meaty screws, so it would take a massive force.

Time to stop worrying I say (y)

I cant see any problems.

Because you have housed the rails into the posts, all of the weight is supported by the shoulders of the joint.

The weakest part is the 2 screws at each end holding the rails -kids could try to climb up the sides pulling the rails out sideways -but theres a pretty big glue area to resist any pull and Im sure you used quite meaty screws, so it would take a massive force.

Time to stop worrying I say (y)

It's more the attachment of the batten to those side rails. I think the rails are pretty solid, but I am mostly concerned about the batten I've just glue/screwed onto them :)

The dimension used are twice that of the bunk beds I have which are shop bought so it should be more than strong enough .

Sponsored Links
The dimension used are twice that of the bunk beds I have which are shop bought so it should be more than strong enough .

Strong enough for my wife (normal size) or myself (above average!) to lie on the top bunk to get to the girls and/or change the bed though? How strong is a glued butt-joint? :)

It's more the attachment of the batten to those side rails. I think the rails are pretty solid, but I am mostly concerned about the batten I've just glue/screwed onto them :)

Plenty strong enough, far in excess of the load. Most bed frames have something more like 38 x 25 to support the slats.

I used to build orangeries -we screwed and glued 2 x 2 battens around, then notched out the joists to sit on the battens. IE the roof was supported on the 2 x 2.
Its a rock solid construction.

There's one way to find out ...

Looks great though. I need to build a similar sort of cupboard - how did you finish it? Is the wood just painted? Looks very neat.

There's one way to find out ...

Looks great though. I need to build a similar sort of cupboard - how did you finish it? Is the wood just painted? Looks very neat.

Thank you. The finish has turned out better than expected actually.

It's a 2x4 skeleton with 12mm MDF on top. Plenty of wood filler and sanding then 2 coats of Zinser BIN and 2 coats of some fancy kid-friendly paint my wife found. Two small 500ml tins did the full two coats on the whole thing.

• Thanks
Reactions: JP_

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back