Trying to make a cabin bed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to try and make a cabin bed for my son.
The trouble is that I don't know what type of wood to use. All the decorative bits will be MDF but I need something strong for the frame.

I've included a small drawing which shows that the bed fits in a gap and so I will be able to batten against 3 walls as well as having uprights in each corner to support the weight.

Obviously I need something strong enough to span 6ft without bowing and taking the weight of someone on top!

Also I have some old slats from a bed. Can I re-use these or should I use something nice and strong for the slats?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
I've included a small drawing which shows that the bed fits in a gap and so I will be able to batten against 3 walls as well as having uprights in each corner to support the weight.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Chris

Very good drawing full of detail, it’s a credit to you sir !!!!

Lets hope its not like this

here are some hints on construction.

and here

Try googling for " bed design drawing" with cabin / captain etc in front.

or if you dont mind spending a fiver try here

Or just walk around some bedding stores looking at the designs, take a tape measure & pad & jot down notes to see "if it fits" ;)

Many thanks for the links.
So you like my drawing! I am thinking of becoming a graphic designer!!

I still can't see on any of those links what type of wood to use for the uprights and the long 6ft span. Can I use CLS timber or will it bow?

Sponsored Links
what a twa*! here you go. when you open it you'll see what I mean about a graphine designer!
GALLERY]

What size wood you use all depends upon how your going to construct it.

Fot the long lengths something akin to 4x1 plus with a 1.25x1.5 (ish) bead along both inside edges will suffice to hold the slats you already have.
Although if they are the 6mm thin ones I have seen before I favour the 1/2" slats for the fatties & jumpies.... :D

You can make uprights with almost anything that resembles 3x2 ish, cross brace them at the ends, put panelling on the ends & back side.
What you plan to do with the front is where it becomes difficult, especially if you want to go putting draws in.

(You are talking about a bed thats about 2' high with storage underneath aren't you? or is this the high/raised sleeper bed type your planing?)

Plan it in your head, draw it on paper, dimension the paper, check & recheck those dimensions, get some wood, cut to size, screw together with decent screws & glue. Gives you something to do on a weekend :D

Not sure where the MDF comes into it (IMO I dont like it, prefer real wood).

Thats excelent Mattylad. Thanks.

How do you suggest I attach the 1.25x1.5(ish) bead along the inside edges? Should I just screw and glue? What strikes me is that you'e got all this strong wood but all the weight is on these small bits of bead!

Bassically the bed will be a high sleeper. I think what I'll do is construct the bed and then just construct some furniture that simply slides underneath it, rather than trying to create one almights piece of furniture with everything joined together.
I want it high enough so that I can get a desk underneath.

I assume your dimensions are in inches?

Cheers,

Chris

Yes my dims are inches as thats what a "proper" wood yard will use.
The sheds use metric :D

Try going to a wood yard & asking for their advise & looking at some in the shops for ideas.

To fix the battens to the wood yes it will be a lot of glue & screw.
If you have the ability to rebate the side piece and make a slot in it that the batten can fit in & glue screw it, it will be more secure.
Dont scrimp on the glue & screw.

So you actually want a high sleeper type, well in that case your going to need some strong vertical corner bits & some bracing across so that it does not go wonky.

Another thing is to use google images for ideas I.E.

BTW, I have never made one, just slept in one for many years :D
It just seems that no one else wants to help you & just scoff at your drawing (well it is very bad lol)

Or just walk around some bedding stores looking at the designs, take a tape measure & pad & jot down notes to see "if it fits" ;)

You gave the OP the best advice in your very first reply, and that’s why we are letting you get on with it. By copying what the shops are selling you can’t go wrong can you?

Yes, it will be a high sleeper with a desk and storage for clothes underneath.
Because of the gap it is going into the bed will not be 'free standing'. This means I'll be able to attach the four corner uprights to the wall which should make it much more stable.
Thanks again for your info.
I'll put some pics up for you when I'm finished!

no idea, I dont know the difference.
I go for the timber I can see & touch.

PSE is proberably "Planed" & smoother I would think?

all down to cost & if you have your own told/time etc to make look good.

Take note of what "awbcm" has just said, best thing to do really.

Remember, your child will be sleeping in this & her life is most important so getting it right, getting it safe is what make the importance of good design rather than just bodged together.
A fall from so high up can kill if she lands wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back