Trying to make a cabin bed

PSE = Planed square edge

PAR = Planed all round

Sawn timber = before any machining i.e. before planning

Have a look at one of my guides;

"From Tree to Timber"

A guide to the different methods of converting logs into usable timber outlining the properties and yield of each. The guide includes flaws, defects and movement problems in natural timber.

You mat find my other guides of help.

Sponsored Links
And I tink I'm right in saying that the sawn timber is the size it says yet the planed is smaller than the size it says it is. ?

And I tink I'm right in saying that the sawn timber is the size it says yet the planed is smaller than the size it says it is. ?

Generally the sizes for timber are stated prior to machining;

Example 50 x 25, 75 x 25, 50 x 38, 100 x 50, 200 x 65 etc, etc

After machining the sizes are known as Ex or finished size

So you would have Ex 100 x 50 = a finish size of 94 x 44

As a rough guide machining reduces the timber size by 3mm on each face, hence 100 x 50 becoming 94 x 44

But like every thing else there are exceptions to this rule and a typical example is Ex 50 x 25 =44 x 22. Why I hear you ask; most 25mm sawn bards are actually 27mm hence you end up with 22mm finish size.

PSE boards are not planed all round, they are only planned on two faces the edges are split faces. Some timber sections are split not sawn and look at first glance as if they are planed. It is more economical to split as you don’t lose 3mm each saw cut + 3mm machining.

You will generally find in the big sheds that finished size of timber is even smaller compared to traditional timber yards i.e. ex 50 x 25 would be 44 x 19 compared to a traditional timber yard the size would be 44 x 22

Sponsored Links
and the op is saying to himself. "But I only wanted some bits of wood!" lol....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back