How to make thick sides to shelving unit

I

imamartian

Hi all. If i were considering making a unit similar to the one in this pic:

http://www.propspropsprops.co.uk/images/gallery/l/62029_57533.jpg

Can anyone advise, firstly, how i might make the thicker side panels - i'm assuming they're not solid. And secondly (and probably a question for a different forum) can people suggest ways to give them a decent finish? For example, i have used mdf kitchen cabinet paint in the past, and was really impressed..

Sponsored Links
Easiest way is to make a sandwich from two sheets of 13mm veneered MDF with an MDF core to give the required thickness. If you keep the overall to less than 50mm you can buy matching iron on veneer to cover the edges.

Jason

laminate them,
i:e either glue or screw them together,but you can get 1inch thick mdf would that not suffice?or does it need to be thicker?.

if you plan on anything of any weight for on the shelves i would forget the wheels as it will weigh a ton and on that span will sag ;)

jasons torsion box design will support a lot more weight but still do without the wheels as it will be to heavy to move if well loaded

Sponsored Links
ta for the replies...

no wheels, as it's going to sit on another unit.

As for the iron on lamintate thing... i've never been a fan....

What about two 25mm boards, laminated, but with 45deg mitres edges, and a trangular strip of the same timber glued in to give a clean edge?
Like this....
_________
________/ /|
________\ \|

Probably as easy to just use flat timber lipping about 6mm thick. Don't know what machines you have so can't say how accurate you will be able to cut the mitres, could try a mitre-lock cutter in a spindle moulder if you have one.

Jason

Probably as easy to just use flat timber lipping about 6mm thick. Don't know what machines you have so can't say how accurate you will be able to cut the mitres, could try a mitre-lock cutter in a spindle moulder if you have one.

Jason

Thanks, that sounds like a better option.

I have a decent sized table saw, and a fairly decent mid-range router...

but the flat timber lipping gives me better corners....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back