1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

how to mix pointing dark coloured

Discussion in 'Building' started by bmx, 2 Apr 2012.

1. bmx

bmx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    after some advice on mixing some pointing. i want to repoint the front of my house in the next week or so and i want a dark grey colour similar to marley modern tiles. whats the mix needed for this or a very dark grey mix please :)

2. Sponsored Links
  3. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Trial and error, using dark sands and grey cement maybe even the addition of black pigments will help. But you will need to sample test a few mixes and leave to dry to see what the outcome is.

4. stuart45

stuart45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You need to leave the samples for a few weeks as the colour will lighten in time.

5. bmx

bmx

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok any starting points? I was thinking 1 building 1 kiln dried 1 cement . What do you think? :)

6. themiddleagedun

themiddleagedun

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just use cement & building sand. 1 part cement-5 parts sand plus the addition of a black mortar dye :)

7. hammerswinger

hammerswinger

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's worth bearing in mind that the cement used can make a big difference to the finished colour of the mortar, if you want it dark you're best to use just ordinary Portland cement and stay away from the multi blended cements like mastercrete as these tend to give a much lighter finish.

8. peekay53

peekay53

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    also unless you are using proper guaging techniques mix it all in one go and complete the job or you will find sat / 2 /3 shades different

9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links