Tips to match mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. So with social distancing, etc I am looking to do a few projects around the house, one of which is some repointing.
I have a few bags of ready mix light grey mortar, but the pointing is a slightly different colour. Any tips on how to get the right match? I have attached 2 pics showing the colour. Maybe some of that dye, guessing a yellowish colour? Also a dark grey might work?
Thanks for any help you can offer
IMG-20200323-WA0011.jpg IMG-20200323-WA0008.jpg

Sponsored Links
Personally I hate readymix.
I would buy building sand and blue circle cement which seems to not make the mix too grey.
If you're repointing your own house I would go an inch deep into the old mortar with a grinding disc and then use a chaser to clean off the rest.
Compressor and hoover work perfectly to get rid of sand in the chase.
It's a messy job.
When I did mine I used to chase a couple of square metre, take all the spacesuit off, have a rinse and then attack the repointing.
Must be done in summer during dry and reasonably warm weather imo.

Personally I hate readymix.
I would buy building sand and blue circle cement which seems to not make the mix too grey.
If you're repointing your own house I would go an inch deep into the old mortar with a grinding disc and then use a chaser to clean off the rest.
Compressor and hoover work perfectly to get rid of sand in the chase.
It's a messy job.
When I did mine I used to chase a couple of square metre, take all the spacesuit off, have a rinse and then attack the repointing.

Thanks for your reply. Which colour building sand would you recommend with the blue circle cement? Yellowish maybe?
I don't expect it to be an exact match, but just so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. I have a mortar routing bit,so just need the mortar mix correct. Should I add dye as well?

That dries the mortar too quickly risking shrinkage cracking.

Damp weather, low (but not freezing) temperatures is the best for pointing - winter, autumn and spring ... every season except summer. This gives maximum mortar strength due to slow cement hardening and maximum adhesion.

Sponsored Links
It's hard to tell from the images, but generally red sand gives a greyer colour and buff sand lighter and less grey.

How you iron the joint also determines how dark it goes (ie shades of grey or buff), as does how quick the mortar sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back