How to overboard / plaster this ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All ,
I am new to the forum. Bought an Edwardian house that needs a lot of work sometime ago and I am trying to do it up as I go along. Unfortunately I have met some bad "builders" as well as good ones over the last few years and eventually came to the idea of doing it myself as much as I can now to avoid hassle and disappointment and save some cash in the meantime.

I had an old window in my living room looking into the garden which I had recently replaced with a pair of wooden French doors which created a little mess that needs tidying up.
Hence I am on here asking for some help in order to overboard and plaster the door reveals properly.

I am thinking of removing all the old plaster on the left side and dot and dab plaster board.
Is this the way to do it ?
On the right side however the wall goes a few meters and I would prefer not to take the plaster off since it was plastered only 2 years ago before the French doors were fitted.

Any other tips ideally a step by step guide on this whole job would be appreciated.

IMG_9562.JPG
IMG_9561.jpg
IMG_9564.JPG
IMG_9563.JPG

Sponsored Links
I would mortar some Kingspan into the cavity the dot and dab it all.

If it is a cavity wall I would knock all the plaster off the left hand side and about 9 inches of the right hand side (Plumb a straight edge to wall and then grind down it to get the plaster off) Grinding it should stop it going "boxy" if you had hacked it off. Then you can dot and dab plaster board on the three surfaces and level off the main wall with a straight edge. (Cut the board to the area that you have taken off and I would allow about 3 inches all round over the actual size of the opening (this is the area of wall both sides and head of door) This allows you to cut it later when the adhesive is dry. Then you can dot and dab plaster board on the head of the door to the margin you want all around your door. Hold it up level with three uprights (Lengths of wood). Leave this to set before you take the wooden uprights out and level across the margin you want on the ceiling and cut it with a Stanley knife then you have the datum to work both sides in for your revels, cut both sides plumb to your gap on the ceiling and you should have room to dot and dab your revels to the same margin as the head Then put your beads on all around and you are ready to skim. Don't cut off your DPC all round till you have it all plaster boarded around the door, You can caulk the left hand side of wall when skimmed and around the head and where the plaster board abuts the ceiling. For right hand side I would get a Stanley knife and hold a level up on the existing wall and try to take a section of plaster about an inch and a half wide and try to just take the thickness of plaster off so you can put some scrim tape over the join so it wont crack when you plaster over it. I know this is a bit long winded but if you read thru a few times you should understand what I mean ..Good Luck...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back