How to pack under sewer run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I had dug a new sewer run, I'd use 100mm of pea gravel underneath the pipe and cover it with the pea gravel before back filling......

But, whilst in the process of my building, I had to remove a brick inspection chamber that was in the way of the new foundations leaving me with a crater instead of a nice neat trench. The sewer run is now temporarily supported on bricks whilst I sort other bits and bobs out but soon will have to be backfilled. But how? There is a gap of around 30cm below the pipe and no real sides to the crater. I think I could bung a whole bulk bag of pea gravel in there.

What do you suggest? I have the spoil heap of soil still but could do without settlement knocking my gradient off over time.

Sponsored Links
That was my initial thought but I'd need a hell of a lot. Just trying to get some other opinions on how to reduce the amount (and cost) needed. Although this is my fall back option.

Have you got a length of plastic there now which you could move them compact the old spoil below it?

Sponsored Links
I have..... I've just had a eureka moment - could I shutter off around the pipe, fill in the now create trench with pea gravel (instead of my crater) then fill the outside with soil and compact this? That way, directly below my pipe will be gravel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back