Inspection Chamber Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just in the process of installing a long drainage run for my self-build. All is going well, but what's the best way to bed the chambers in?

I've installed 3 Osma 450mm chambers each with 2 risers, 1 will be positioned in a shrub border so won't be driven over, but 2 of them are in the middle of the driveway track. The drive will be geocell with gravel infill and top coat. So far, I've bedded all the drainage pipes and the chambers into 10mm pea shingle. I've backfilled most of the trenches now, just leaving the area around the chambers open.

So, at this moment, the chambers are sitting in pea shingle, I can see the tops of the ports still. What would you suggest next? More pea shingle, then a 150mm concrete top collar?

20211105_082014.jpg

Sponsored Links
I always bed the 4" inch pipes, manhole bases and manhole sides in pea gravel.

Fill it in with soil, wait about a year for it to consolidate then form your concrete ring

BCO up here is a big fan of concrete under the manhole base (and pea shingle around the tubes of course,)

Sponsored Links
BCO up here is a big fan of concrete under the manhole base (and pea shingle around the tubes of course,)
That's what we do as standard. I was a bit surprised when I just checked the Osma guide and it says gravel! o_O

We always pack concrete around/under, etc our chamber bottoms. Keep the knock-outs clear though, just in case.(y)

That's what we do as standard. I was a bit surprised when I just checked the Osma guide and it says gravel! o_O

That's what got me. I called their Tech Help too, no use whatsoever! He basically regurgitated the text from the diagram

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back