Inspection Chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

Im installing a new inspection chamber and drainage to our extension. A few questions on on this and some photos also. The chamber is going to bed on some concrete(Its not level yet) and then backfilled around it with pea shingle.

The chamber is quite a depth so to get the soil pipes into the chamber they are going through a 45 bend and then another 45 into the chamber is this ok? This will also be how the other 2 inlets come into the chamber(You can see this in a picture)

The outlet from the chamber to connect up to the old clay pipe. This will come out of the chamber through a 45 and then around a sweeping 45 connecting it into a clayVsplastic adapter. Will this be ok as Im trying to avoid as much as I can too many bends?

few Pictures might make more sense

1656954729994.png

1656954779204.png

Old clay connection to sewer can be seen in the far left of the below picture
1656954812194.png

Sponsored Links
I'd be amazed if building control let you get away with that swoop down into the chamber, likewise the exit being effectively 90 degree bend.
How will you rod any blockages?

My drains were quite deep 1.5-2m and provision hadn't been made in the foundations due to design changes.

I had to come out the wall with a 90 degree roddable access point, kango out the foundation to the depth of the i/c below the 90, install a vertical pipe into a rest bend that then fed into the i/c

I suspect you'll have to do something similar with that concrete to keep bc happy

There's a couple of pics of how I did it, I had to have 2 pipes to the i/c I wouldn't copy exactly how I did it as my i/c was sited too close to the house really

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    657.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20220206_122746.jpg
    IMG_20220206_122746.jpg
    688.8 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
I did some research and found this picture online so was going to be similar setup to this. Excuse the chamber being around the wrong way It was just a photo taken to represent what ive got outside..

1657135181788.png

You need backdrops.... minimal extra cost and will be fully rodable. Your research has led you to a bad place unfortunately.

Apart from the fact you've got the chamber the wrong way round in the first picture, I would be surprised in the BCO would pass that arrangement. If anything, I would suggest you put all the inlets on the same plane and do the dogleg on the outgoing pipework from the chamber, and see if that is more acceptable. This does now seem acceptable practice on New Builds! However I very much doubt the bends on the exit would be allowed.

I think it is time for Plan B, you need all incoming pipes entering via Backdrops, and a bend in the channel inside the chamber to align the outlet with the outgoing sewer. This would need a brick or concrete sectional chamber constructing to accommodate the required pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back