How to paint an external wall to avoid striping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My apologies for how many times this must have been asked before but I am new to this web site and have not been able to find the answer by doing a search.

I have a sand/cement rendered house which is finished with a final coat of Culamix Tyrolean to provide a textured finish and this has been painted twice in the last 15 years, but not by me. All surfaces are sound and secure but I have recently had to have the render coats and tyrolean made good again around the windows after having new windows fitted.

I now want to paint the whole house again but am concerned about ending up with it drying either in stripes or patchy like a chess board even without the added possibility that the new tyrolean might behave differently from the original. One wall is very long and tall and will require 3 lifts of scaffold to reach the top and there are very few things like windows to help me create natural break points.

Please advise what is it that will most likely cause me a danger of striping or patching - will it be my poor brushing technique when applying the paint, my failure to keep a wet edge over the large surface area or an extra thickness of paint building up on the overlap of sections which perhaps makes the colour a slight shade darker? If it's all of these or none of these, what techniques do I use to reduce the likelihood of it happening please? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just bang it on with a roller and you can't go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back