How to paint bare pine staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New pine staircase is bare

I would like to paint the entire thing black (e.g. with Dulux Trade Satinwood)

To get a long lasting/ non flaking finish do I need to use both a primer and undercoat?

If so, what primer and undercoat is recommended?

Sponsored Links
Waterbased or oilbased?

Either way you could use the grey dulux trade acrylic primer/under coat if you want to use their satinwood..

Alternatively, use a cheap but easy to sand acrylic primer such as Leyland Trade's and then oil based DT grey undercoat if you want better depth and plan to use oil based satinwood.

Do you plan to have stair runner carpets? If not, you might be better off with a high opacity coloured "oil", such as those offered by the likes of Sikkens or Sadolin or Osmo

The Osmo can be touched up once it becomes bare. Paint will require repainting the whole tread.

Waterbased or oilbased?

Either way you could use the grey dulux trade acrylic primer/under coat if you want to use their satinwood..

Alternatively, use a cheap but easy to sand acrylic primer such as Leyland Trade's and then oil based DT grey undercoat if you want better depth and plan to use oil based satinwood.

Do you plan to have stair runner carpets? If not, you might be better off with a high opacity coloured "oil", such as those offered by the likes of Sikkens or Sadolin or Osmo

The Osmo can be touched up once it becomes bare. Paint will re

quire repainting the whole tread.

Waterbased or oilbased?

The Osmo can be touched up once it becomes bare. Paint will require repainting the whole tread.
Oil based paints are the preference.

The stairs will have no stair runner. It will be 100% painted black.

I hadn't even thought of using some oil such as Osmo. Is this something that I will have to frequently apply? If so, I will not use this product.

I am looking to do the job, then have the least amount of maintenance.

I was planning on using Zinsser Bin as the primer. However when I spoke to Zinsser, they said that none of their products are recommended where there is constant foot traffic (ie like the treads)

I found this very strange.

Sponsored Links
Oil based paints are the preference.

The stairs will have no stair runner. It will be 100% painted black.

I hadn't even thought of using some oil such as Osmo. Is this something that I will have to frequently apply? If so, I will not use this product.

I am looking to do the job, then have the least amount of maintenance.

I was planning on using Zinsser Bin as the primer. However when I spoke to Zinsser, they said that none of their products are recommended where there is constant foot traffic (ie like the treads)

I found this very strange.

Fair play to Zinsser for being so honest.

I recommended Osmo because over the years they have become my go to manufacturer of oils for wood. I now use their (respective) products for both wooden flooring and worktops. I have only ever used their clear products though.

You will only need to apply more as it wears down, but it should be far more durable than satinwood. With the untinted versions, you just wipe more on- provided that you don't allow it to wear down so much that the original wood becomes stained/dirty.

I am tempted to recommend that you use an oil based stain prior to applying the black Osmo but I strongly recommend that you speak to them first.

Zinsser Australia sell a floor paint- no idea why they don't sell it in the UK- perhaps it exceeds the VOC limits.

For what it is worth, there are a number of firms that sell tinted floor paints, eg Farrow and Ball, but I have seen it chip in the past, oils do not chip in the same kind of way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back