How to: polycell finishing skim on bare plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this product says to ensure the surface is clean and dry before applying. In my case I've got patches of bare plaster where I've removed the paint and want to match the level before repainting. I've also got a section of completely new plaster that I want to smooth a bit before mist coat and paint.

Are the instructions correct? Will the plaster suck the water out of the polycell finishing skim, or is it OK to use on the bare plaster? Would it be better to spray a bit of water on first? Or even do a mist coat of paint, and then the finishing skim?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
what paint surface are you trying to blend to , matt or silk?

The surrounding paint is vinyl silk. I've sanded it with 180grit and will use zinser bullseye 123 primer before painting my final matt emulsion over it

Here's the areas where I've scraped away loose paint:

8-F829-A87-B2-E7-4-F8-B-9-E79-082438-AE0-A7-D.jpg

DA1-C400-C-83-BF-4-E69-9977-0-CBBC4-C409-FB.jpg

3-CE4-DE8-B-2086-451-C-A3-D6-B36551-A5-BAF5.jpg

And this is completely new plaster:

DEA1-A3-DD-8-B48-4-DF9-B961-2-F75-B4057-F9-E.jpg

And there are defects I want to fill/smooth where the plaster has left trowel marks and scour lines:

635-ACD40-829-D-41-FA-8-E0-A-8-B1-AB2-AFD2-E1.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would sand the new plaster it will improve things and save a lot of filling .
Did the person, not a plasterer I would suggest, remove the switches before skimming because its cr@p around there?

I agree, I paid a 15yr veteran plasterer to do it, but he didn't remove the switch. I didn't notice the scour marks under spotlights, but the following day in natural light it cast a shadow and I saw it right away. I've been sanding with 180g but I've just switched to 120 grit and it's making better progress. I'm worried about going too far though so I'm might stop and fill what remains.

So, is my Polycell Finishing Skim OK to use on this bare plaster without prep? Or should I either dampen the plaster first, or apply a 50/50% watered down mist coat of paint first to prime it?

Last edited:
i’d seal the bare plaster first as it is with a weak watered down matt.
then id give it 3 heavy roller coats of white matt, leaving it to dry thoroughly between coats. then you’ll know what your up against and can fill straight over the bits you dont like and rub it back , before your top coat.
if you dampen the painted scraped bits though it may loosen more paint.

I would sand the new plaster it will improve things and save a lot of filling .
Did the person, not a plasterer I would suggest, remove the switches before skimming because its cr@p around there?
removing switches ,sockets and radiators is alien to most plasterers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back