Plaster onto bare brick next to existing plastered wall with 5mm thick plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had a front door and porch door removed from my house and there is now a 700mm strip of bare brick, floor to ceiling, that I need to plaster to get it to blend in with the wall in the hall which is already plastered and painted. The bare brick is on both walls either side of the door, but the existing plaster on the walls only seems to be around 4-5mm thick. I therefore can't use plasterboard as the thinnest is 9mm thick and would stick out further than the rest of the wall, but I'm not sure that there will be enough space to put on a coat of hardwall plaster, followed by a finishing skim as I guess that will end up also being too thick.

I was just wondering if I can use finishing plaster on bare brick to a depth or around 5mm, or is that not an option (I've read that the brick will suck the moisture out if I use finishing plaster directly on it, and have also seen comments that the one coat stuff is not easy to get a smooth finish with (and I am only a DIYer with virtually no plastering experience!).

Any advice on how to approach this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back