Skimming walls and ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this forum as I'm getting into some DIY on a house. I just wanted some advice on skimming. I cant really afford to pay someone to do this so trying to do it myself:

a) Skim the popcorn wall/ceiling in the bedroom (see attached pics)? It looks to be thick artex and I imagine it will need at least 2-3 coats of skim? What would you recommend for this? I've researched into this and I prefer the ready mixed stuff. There's a few options I've found but not entirely sure what is best: Polycell finishing skim, Gyproc Easifiller, Thistle skim finish, Toupret joint and skim?

https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/NC923115C

https://www.homebase.co.uk/thistle-skimfinish-ready-mixed-plaster-2.5kg/12816647.html

https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co...pew7S0wjkaAmcHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&v=6405534

Bedroom 1.jpg
Bedroom 1 (2).jpg

b) Would you suggest to skim coat the walls in the living room? (See pic) the plaster is brown/orange and can I just prime/paint on this? If skimming I assume I can use one of the above compounds?

Living room.jpg

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
i dont really have much experience doing this previously, so whatever is easiest i think!

Sponsored Links
New to this forum as I'm getting into some DIY on a house. I just wanted some advice on skimming. I cant really afford to pay someone to do this so trying to do it myself:

a) Skim the popcorn wall/ceiling in the bedroom (see attached pics)? It looks to be thick artex and I imagine it will need at least 2-3 coats of skim? What would you recommend for this? I've researched into this and I prefer the ready mixed stuff.

I’d agree with the other comments previously posted - looks like a wallpaper, which you would need to strip off and cannot plaster over.

Ceilings are also a lot harder than walls, as working over your head.
On material choice for a full ceiling, would be multi finish plaster every time, not ready mixed.
Given you’re asking that question, I think you should be warned you’re probably biting off more than you can chew.
should start small, ideally with a wall also.

I’d agree with the other comments previously posted - looks like a wallpaper, which you would need to strip off and cannot plaster over.

Ceilings are also a lot harder than walls, as working over your head.
On material choice for a full ceiling, would be multi finish plaster every time, not ready mixed.
Given you’re asking that question, I think you should be warned you’re probably biting off more than you can chew.
should start small, ideally with a wall also.

Thanks - if its just wallpaper, I'm not fussed and might just leave as it is.

For the walls any suggestions on the best ready mixed to use?

Thanks - if its just wallpaper, I'm not fussed and might just leave as it is.

For the walls any suggestions on the best ready mixed to use?

sorry, I’ve not used any of the ready mixed before (as I’d use multi finish), so not able to advise you.

have you got damp in the corner where it looks like a broadband/phone/tv point?
If you have, you’d want to sort that before any new plaster coating.

Ceiling is paper.

Sand walls with cheap orbital on vac. Use tape or anything to bodge on vac as will take off most of the surface paste and bits with 120g discs.

I use gardz to prime then a ready mixed wall smoother like B&Q makegood quick dry (green on tubs) or any toupret wall smoother version.

Can use waterproof pva thinned to spec like evostik red

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back