How to prep this old interior window lintel for painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the wooden lintel above the window in the pic was water damaged (long since dry) so I have removed the paint and cleaned. A few areas need wood filling but there are two things I don’t know how to do before redecorating:
1 The narrow facing edge needs to come up flush with the painted masonry above. It’s about 3mm shy. Not sure what product to use for this?
2 The underside is an uneven mix of the original wood and some old yellowed coating of something that won’t budge. What would you apply to smooth the entire area? I don’t think sanding will do it. I’m guessing a two-part wood filler isn’t the right thing?

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks, Johnny

Attachments

• DSC_0669.JPG
    DSC_0669.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
The gap between the header and plaster will always crack. I would pin and glue on a small timber moulding to bridge the gap.

You could backfill the header with 2 pack filler and then sand it flat, but it might quicker to cut something, eg 6mm MDF, to cover the header, in conjunction with the timber trim.

I'd use a polymer grab and 6mm elements board.
3 screws through and some wall smoother or plaster over to cover.

Not got room for foil backed board or standard board.
Might have for 9.5mm plasterboard

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the swift suggestions, appreciated. I’ll consider the options and go sort it. Cheers, J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back