Advice on prepping exterior of windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to re-paint all exterior windows of my old house. The current sash windows have paint peeling off in places with some bare wood exposed. I have primer,undercoat and a good gloss to paint and want to do a good job that will last.

However what is the best way to prep the windows? If I just sand and then paint primer onto the bare wood will it look uneven when finished? To counter this, do I need to get a blowtorch and melt off all the paint? I have never done this before and it sounds like a big job (have a lot of windows to do).

All advice welcome as although I have done loads of painting it's mainly been internal or a new coat on a good surface.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Sanding is all that is required, just make sure that the edges of the existing paintwork are feathered back so when you run your fingers over it the surface will appear uniform.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back