Painting old sash windows - Advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to repaint some old sash windows and frames. They are currently painted in gloss and were peeling very badly. In some places it's back to the bare wood, whereas in others it's not too bad at all. I have sanded down all of the windows and have removed all loose paint and have a good surface to work from now. It's a lot of windows and a lot of awkward angles and difficult to reach places, so I can't realistically get it all back to the bare wood unfortunately.

My first question is, how do I blend the bits which are currently bare, with the bits with paint on? Can I build it up to the same layer, with some primer and then undercoat?

Secondly, am I best to use water or oil based paints. I have some water based primer and oil based undercoat already. Can you combine the two? I'd rather use what I have, but getting a good job is more important, so I am happy to buy whatever paint I need.

All advice appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Feather the paint down to the bare wood :idea: Water based primer - on the bare bits -then oil based u/coat and gloss ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back