1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone recommend an exterior paint for doors/windows

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by fuzzytrifle, 8 Jun 2013.

1. fuzzytrifle

fuzzytrifle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can anyone recommend an exterior paint for windows and doors for bare, untreated softwood frames, one set of patio doors that already have a coat of primer and some hardwood windows.

I've read quite a few threads on here, but can't work out whether to go for oil or water based paint. I've used Weathershield on a South facing back door recently with no problems, but this was a water based paint and I've read that oil based paints offer better long time protection. I've ruled out linseed oil based paint due to it marking easily and I need it to be more dog and child proof.

Should the untreated wood be painted with some kind of preservative before the undercoat/primer?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. emilybronte

emilybronte

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dulux primer/preserver on bare wood followed by their oilbased Weathershield system (2 coats of undercoat and one of gloss).

4. ic1927

ic1927

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Johnstones Stormshield flexible primer undercoat and gloss is oil based and good stuff. Any bare hardwood should be primed with aluminium wood primer. Don't put water based/acrylic undercoat over aluminium primer.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links