Dulux weathershield satin- do I need ali primer on bare wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm painting bare wooden mahogany double doors. Initially I'd bought oil based aluminium primer but now I've found a satin exterior paint (Dulux weathershield) and it's water based and also undercoats.

So I presume I do away with the need for using the ali primer and just do 2-3 coats of the Dulux?

Also, inside the porch is currently in oil based gloss. If I key it up, I trust the Dulux WS will be ok to use for this area too (it's exposed to the air when the double doors are open but doesn't get wet), or am I better or ok using just normal interior oil based eggshell?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need the ali primer because mahogony is a tight grained hard wood, the dulux wont adhere well.

Inside go with normal interior paint

You need the ali primer because mahogony is a tight grained hard wood, the dulux wont adhere well.

So it's fine that the primer is oil based and undercoat/top coat satin is water based?

Best to go with OB really, i don't like mixed medium systems much for exteriors as you want the complete system to have similar flexibility. Dulux WB paints are not that well rated, you'd be better going with the oil based weathershield system. Mahogony is resinous which means it can bleed through the top coat and it is also a surface that provides poor adhesion. I doubt there's a WB primer thats much good on mahogany, just checked zinsser 123 and it doesn't specifically say hardwoods but does hold back redwood, i'd play it safe and go with the ali primer and OB top coat

Sponsored Links
i'd play it safe and go with the ali primer and OB top coat

But I don't think there's an exterior OB top coat in a satin finish is ther? Plus I've already made the trek to B&Q and got me WB Dulux!! 25% off thsi w/e! :) Is there a WB ali primer on the market?

I've also already painted the frames in Ronseal WB primer/undercoat, then gone and put an OB gloss on top, this was b4 I knew there was a sating finish available for exterior, the WB Dulux! So now I'm going to have to key this and go over with the WB Weathershield too! Bit of a mix of mediums going on!

If you havn't put the ali primer over mahogony it will bleed through a water based topcoat easier than an oil based (quicker for sure). Have to leave it to you to do the best with the advice already given

oil-based alumium primer is very good on close-grained oily hardwood, and very durable outdoors. IMO there is nothing to touch it for weather resistance and long life. (Indoors you can get away with water-based acrylic rubbish)

So if you have some expensive joinery that is exposed to sun and rain, I would start with aluminium primer, and suit the u/c and topcoat to that.

If you really can't find a Satinwood or Silk oil topcoat, try Eggshell. But oil Gloss is IMO harder wearing outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back