How to prepare garage wall for spray painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some Dulux masonry paint and intend to spray the inside walls of my garage using an Earlex HVLP spray system.

The internal walls are breeze block (thermal block ?) and I was wondering the best way to prepare prior to spraying. Someone suggested to me that I should seal the wall using thinned down emulsion paint - is this a good idea or should I use another product?

Any advice appreciated

Cheers :D
Tony

Sponsored Links
Personally mate i wouldnt bother with the spray machine, even the top spec ones struggle when painting blocks

Masonry paint is fine but id consider a roller.

Zampa
Thanks for the reply. Interesting comment about spray machines - guess my cheapo Earlex may not be up to the job then - even though the instructions state otherwise :confused:
Well I suppose there is one born every minute - why do I believe manufacturers blurb :D

Cheers :D
Tony

when I've used Dulux Masonry paint, I'm pretty sure the instructions said apply a priming coat mixed with water.

On lightweight block the first mist coat sank in very fast so I gave it two thinned coats (the first one seemed dry by the time I'd got to the far end of the wall).

A long-bristled brush is IMO better for getting into deep texture,

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
when I've used Dulux Masonry paint, I'm pretty sure the instructions said apply a priming coat mixed with water.

On lightweight block the first mist coat sank in very fast so I gave it two thinned coats (the first one seemed dry by the time I'd got to the far end of the wall).
Thanks John - yes I read the bit about applying a priming coat mixed with water. I was hoping that I may be able to use cheap white emulsion to prime and hopefully seal before applying the masonry paint.

Tony

Could be dicey mate..id stick to masonry

Zampa
I suspect you are right "Could be dicey" :) that's why I sought some advice first. As you suggest will stick to masonry.

Thanks again

Cheers :)
Tony

just thin the first coat of masonry most paint spec say i mist coat ,two full coats ;) use a good roller, i have airless sprayed 100s of sq mt of blockwalls with the top of the range spray units costing £1000s and the roller is still best :LOL: :LOL:

just thin the first coat of masonry most paint spec say i mist coat ,two full coats ;) use a good roller, i have airless sprayed 100s of sq mt of blockwalls with the top of the range spray units costing £1000s and the roller is still best :LOL: :LOL:

I agree totally...spray set up ahve a place..but its certainly notspraying blockwork or roughcast, unless you roll over it after wards

Whats the point then? I hear you ask.... :rolleyes:

I rest my case m'lud

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back