How to prepare this house wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One wall of a house is quite damaged by weathering. It LOOKS like its been painted over dirty surfaces in the past. WHat's the best way to proceed before painting it again? Do I have to scrape all that white off, seal the underneath and paint over, or is there an easier way (not another bodge!)? I can scratch a lot of it off with my nails, so its badly adhered to what's underneath.

IMG_20190318_112622926.jpg

IMG_20190318_112652049.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
WabbitPoo, good evening.

Suggest you have a look @ "Soda Blasting" it is in effect a little like Sand Blasting but no where near as abrasive or using the same high pressures used in Sand blasting systems.

You can use a water pressure washer but, and there is a big but? you can / will introduce a load of water into the render, not what you want especially in the winter and when there is a possibility of frost?

Soda blasting will remove the loose material fast, some areas of the paint will still adhere, a pole sander / scraper? but because of the blasting these stubborn areas will be [hopefully] small areas.

When using the blasting it does cause a load of dust / debris, not advised on a windy day outside?

Ken

Cheers. Never heard of it so I'll look it up.

Scraping, pressure-washing or blasting, there's gonna be a hell of a lot of small white flecks of paint everywhere!

Sponsored Links
If you do the work in a snowstorm it will all just simply fade away??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back