How to prevent digger ruining block pavers when digging footings trench?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I needed to get a digger in to dig a trench to extend a garage forwards. Is it worth putting a board down for the digger to work off to prevent damage or sinkage to the rest of the drive or will it make no difference? Digger will be .8 tonne so quite light
Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Put down a few sheets of 9mm OSB to protect. The weight of the machine won't be an issue though.

Hi all,
I needed to get a digger in to dig a trench to extend a garage forwards. Is it worth putting a board down for the digger to work off to prevent damage or sinkage to the rest of the drive or will it make no difference? Digger will be .8 tonne so quite light
Thanks for your advice
There will be inevitable movement of paviors, especially since (I'm guessing) you'll be removing some to extend your trench...? It won't be so much the weight of the machine, rather the movement of the tracks, coupled with the pull-torque of the digger and the inevitable constant shifting of any sheets you attempt and keep beneath that wriggling machine.

The beauty about block paving is that it is very easy to repair. You'll find that the paviors at the leading edge will bear the brunt and become sunken or dislodged, whilst leaving those further from the edge, ok. Allow these to be sacrificial, and don't be tempted to move then, until all the digging work is done.

If your digging up part of the drive then carefully dig up the sand layer and keep it out the way on a tarp and you can use it to re lay any areas that sink

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Where I've removed the block pavers so far I've used a couple of old bags of postcrete to haunch up the edge. I'll get some boards down also.

Attachments

• 20231021_180001.jpg
    20231021_180001.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20231021_180014.jpg
    20231021_180014.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 25
Thanks guys. Where I've removed the block pavers so far I've used a couple of old bags of postcrete to haunch up the edge. I'll get some boards down also.
Move that pile of MOT, from the centre, else it will end up in the trenches or get (soil) contaminated. It will also restrict measuring. It will generally be a pain. You can then dig off the over-site material, whist digging out the trenches.
Store it somewhere nearby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back