How to questions - Baxi Duo-tec HE A 24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
About a year ago the father in-law fitted our boiler and promised he would return to fit the TRV and then fill the system with an inhibitor. Well a year on and it's still not done so I'm going to give it a go myself as I would like to get the boiler serviced. My questions are as follows.

Q1, How do I drain the water from the boiler and then the rads. The upstairs rads stangely enough have TRV but the down stairs doesn't so I'm assuming it's a full system drain required.

Q2, Should I remove the rad's from the wall and wash / flush the insides out.

Q3, I have a bottle of liquid inhibitor. Do I put this in the boiler somewhere or inside the rads. If its the rads am I ok just putting it in the ones down stairs whilst I put the TRV's back on. Should I stick it all in one Rad or divide it amongst them all on the GF?

Q4, Is there any special requirements when refilling the system?

Greatfull for any help but please keep it in laymans terms if possible.

Regards, Darren

Sponsored Links
There should be a drain cock on on a pipe downstairs, usually close to an outside door; stick hose on, tighten jubilee clip, and open.

Turn boiler off at the spur first!

After a year, the system will have corroded, so add a bottle of fernox f3 to clean it, and leave in for 2 weeks.
No need to do anything special with the rads, and don't take them off the wall.

Q1, How do I drain the water from the boiler and then the rads. The upstairs rads stangely enough have TRV but the down stairs doesn't so I'm assuming it's a full system drain required.

turn boiler OFF
find the drain tap attach hose and open tap when water starts to slow start opening bleed valves on rads upstairs first

Q2, Should I remove the rad's from the wall and wash / flush the insides out.

shouldnt need to but wont do any harm

Q3, I have a bottle of liquid inhibitor. Do I put this in the boiler somewhere or inside the rads. If its the rads am I ok just putting it in the ones down stairs whilst I put the TRV's back on. Should I stick it all in one Rad or divide it amongst them all on the GF?

anywhere you put it it will get round the full system

Q4, Is there any special requirements when refilling the system?

close drain tap close rad vents open fill loop pressure up bleed rads and repeat

make sure the aav is open on the boiler :idea:

Get the service engineer to quote you for the work. I think it'll be money well spent.

ps do not use the aav on top of boiler to add any chemicals

Sponsored Links
The button has been pushed. ;)

Pictures say a thousand words. should this aav be open all of the time or just when I'm refilling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back