How to quieten a noisy mains pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We live in an old Victorian house which has been converted into two flats. Whoever did it clearly did it on the cheap and one issue we have is that upstairs' mains water supply travels up in the corner of one or our rooms which we want to turn into a bedroom for our new baby. They have boxed it in with some thin pasterboard (or something similar) but looking at the bottom of the pipe (the only visible bit), it looks like an old lead pipe (hard to tell because layers of paint on but looks wider than a copper pipe).

We have always had a bit of noise through the pipe when upstairs call for water, but since coming back from holiday the noise is much louder . I don't know what has caused the pipe to become louder (perhaps increased mains pressure?) but I really have no idea what I can do to quieten it. I guess it will eventually need to be re-routed but is there anything I can do in the short-term? I was thinking maybe removing all the boxing in and putting thick armaflex insulation around the pipe but I don't know if that will be enough.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Hey Nick.

Regarding the noise? Is it a gushing noise? Or are you referring to the pipes shuddering when the water taps are opened upstairs?

Either way, I'd recommend you having a quick chin wag with the upstairs people? Ask them if they are having any problems too with the mains noise; is there water pressure in their taps too high?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back