How to re-seal individual window panes?

Can't comment on the silicone he's used but its a well known fact that silicone does no accept paint or stain very well hence the reason why he's used white but judging by the look of his siliconing (spelling :confused: ) he's never held a silicone gun before.....sack him :evil:

The bead of silicone he's put on is easily removed with a stanley blade, the tape he's used is fine, probably glazing tape, glass panels won't be damaged at all

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd get rid of that sealant, level with the glass beads, and then apply a line of masking tape on the glass, around 3mm from the edge.

Is it ok to use masking tape (normal stuff) or does something special have to be used? I've read mixed views on this, some saying that masking tape can be a bngger to get off the glass and can leave marks....

Also, while I'm at it I'm thinking of tidying up the unstraight and over-zealous cutting in as in some places he's several mm onto the glass. What's the best way to do that?

Cheers

PS - Crank - Hi from Norfolk!!! Whereabouts are you?

Ordinary masking tape is fine - just don't leave it on too long....as soon as the job is done, peel it away to avoid the adhesive being left behind.
A sharp chisel / stanley knife blade will have the excess silicone off smartly.
John :)

Hi again

Just to expand on the above a little....

We have now removed the wrong silicone from the panes he had used it on. I'm planning to redo them using Dow Corning 799.

My plan for the wonky paint lines is (and I have tried this as an experiment) to run a blade down the paint/old silicone to straighten it up. The blade cuts it, I'm then running a small chisel along to uplift it. Seems to work ok, although sometimes it also takes off a thin strip of the original dark silicone as well. As such, the remaining paint/silicone is not firmly stuck. But it's not flapping about either!

The bit I have not done yet is run the DC799. The plan is to use that to form the new seal. Will it adhere ok?

Does this system sound ok? Or should I just stick with them as they are? I was planning on doing all the window panes like this.....

Can post pics if that would help?

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
In that last picture - are they sandpaper scratches all over the window?

It's the tip of the iceberg tbh... He made lots of howlers, to the point where I asked him to finish early. Hence why I'm now finishing the job.

But there are certain aspects that are new to me.....

Sealing the timber to glass.....

Sealing the timber to walls siding.....

etc!

Hence my recent flurry of posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back