How to reach recessed nut to change bottom-entry fill valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a broken fill valve, but I can't access the nuts at the rear of the toilet. A flexible hose disappears inside a relatively small hole and I can just see the nut if I shove a camera under there:

View media item 88808
Looking in the top of the toilet, there's nothing that suggests I should be attacking this problem from the top:

View media item 88807
Is there some kind of tool I can purchase to get at this nut? I've got a basin wrench, but it's far too big to fit up the hole. I can just get my fingers up there, but that's about it.

For the record, here's a side view of the flexible hose:

View media item 88809
and from the other side of the toilet, where you can see the copper piping joining to the flexible hose:

View media item 88810
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Undo and remove the two white plastic nuts (as can be seen in the last two pictures) and lift the cistern up.

If there are any screws fixing the cistern to the wall, they will need to be removed as well.

Brilliant, thanks! I knew there must be a simple answer, not sure why I didn't spot those already!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back