Confused about fitting water feed to toilet/basin...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have speedfit plastic pipes in my wall which can come out at any height to suit fitting the basin and toilet.

I planned to use a short section of copper pipe horizontally coming out of my right angle Speedfit, attached on a noggin, and then coming out of plasterboard just enough to attach to a right angle isolating valve. For the basin the mixer tap I have has flexible pipes which I think can attach directly to the isolating valve, so that seems simple enough

But the toilet...
- should I use flexible pipe for this too? I read that it may too restrictive for a cistern fill.
- is 15mm to 1/2" is correct? To go From the 15mm isolating valve thread to the toilet inlet. - - - Can I unscrew the nut from one side of an isolating valve and attach a flexible pipe directly to it?

Sorry I'm a bit confused about all these fitting! Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
For the basin the mixer tap I have has flexible pipes which I think can attach directly to the isolating valve
Be very careful, the edges of the ISO valve seat can easily cut the rubber washer. Either file down the ISO valve edges of buy adapters with a flat face.
14081.jpg

Same again with the toilet, or use a service valve, that will fit directly to the toilet fill valve shank.

Be very careful, the edges of the ISO valve seat can easily cut the rubber washer. Either file down the ISO valve edges of buy adapters with a flat face.
14081.jpg

Same again with the toilet, or use a service valve, that will fit directly to the toilet fill valve shank.

Thanks, I just ordered those pipe tails! But what about using a flexible pipe on the toilet, is that ok? And will the 15mm to 1/2" flexible pipe be the correct one to connect to a standard toilet inlet?

Toilet float valves are 1/2 inch BSP thread in UK. Some foreign makes are not. Flexible hose for WC are okay , will work ,but rigid pipework is less likely to be problematic with the passing of time. Flexi hoses tend to split.

Sponsored Links
Toilet float valves are 1/2 inch BSP thread in UK. Some foreign makes are not. Flexible hose for WC are okay , will work ,but rigid pipework is less likely to be problematic with the passing of time. Flexi hoses tend to split.

Ok thanks. Because I'm doing the walls first and I'm not sure what the final height of the floor will be as its a bit fo a mess, its just easier to use a Flexi pipe. Also I can't solder copper!

Are you talking about flexible pipe ( plastic pipe ) or braided flexible HOSES, which is what I was referring to.

Yup, only thing with that one is that it's a compression fitting and not two female ends, so it won't fit onto the end of the ISO valve. Given you should be fitting an ISO then it'll need a little piece of pipe after the ISO to connect that flexi to it.

Yup, only thing with that one is that it's a compression fitting and not two female ends, so it won't fit onto the end of the ISO valve. Given you should be fitting an ISO then it'll need a little piece of pipe after the ISO to connect that flexi to it.

Ah for some reason I thought I could take the nut off and attach it to my Iso valve, but I see that won't work as you say. I may have been thinking of my mixer tap tails.

Options are very limited for these 150mm short Flexi pipes, but I just ordered one with an ISO valve built it. I wory maybe it won't be as reliable as a dedicated valve, but I guess it should be fine : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viva-Sanit.../B0187NX1FC/ref=psdc_1939465031_t1_B0108LLT4Q

I'm sure it will be fine, only concern I would have is it doesn't seem to be WRAS approved.

As a professional with his water regs I have to be finicky about that kinda stuff ;)

I'm sure it will be fine, only concern I would have is it doesn't seem to be WRAS approved.

As a professional with his water regs I have to be finicky about that kinda stuff ;)

You mean the short Flexi? Do the iso valves have to be wras approved to?

There aren't many 150mm flexible pipes, that's the only issue! I'd like to get decent ones if possible

Any fitting/pie etc that is attached to the mains water system in your house in the UK, should be WRAS approved. It's all about protecting your drinking water. Not so much of an issue if it's feeding a toilet but the rules still apply to avoid any kind of contamination.

Any fitting/pie etc that is attached to the mains water system in your house in the UK, should be WRAS approved. It's all about protecting your drinking water. Not so much of an issue if it's feeding a toilet but the rules still apply to avoid any kind of contamination.

Ah ok, I was more worried about the quality of the fitting for leaks! If it's just my toilet don't mind so much about the water quality as you say

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back