How to remove a Salamander shower pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My shower pump has stopped working and now only hums when switched on.

It's now started leaking through one of the plastic covers over one of the twin impellors.

I suspect the leak is a washer problem, secondary to the fact the pump isn't pumping (I live in a house full of fun and games like this).

I can't work out how to remove the pump without flooding the house. I've turned off an isolator feeding the pump, and this has stopped the leaking, but do I need to turn off both isolators on the pipes from the immersion tank as well?

Please help me to work out how to remove this pump safely so I can remove the impellor covers and inspect what's wrong.

Thank you all, as always

Tom

Sponsored Links
I have not dabbled with shower pumps, but heres my 10p worth:
Is there enough pressure in the system so you could use the shower, even tho it would be quite poor? If so what about bridging the gap by the pump with some flexi hoses?
If shower is a no go without pump, and as long as you have nothing tee'd off the pump outlet other than shower, just some push fit stop ends will do, or just bang a service valve on the ends if you have any of them.

Dont forget to turn the water off!

Good afternoon,

you would need to isolate the four hoses that are connected to the pump and pipework - once this is done you can then remove the water connection for the pump and then safely remove the electrical connection. Once this is done you could link the pipework for a gravity flow of water until you decide if you want to replace the pump. As for the pump itself, usually a leak and humming noise together would mean some water has managed to get into the bearings causing the pump to seize and would tend to mean a new pump unfortunately.

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back