How to remove a stripped screw from this chair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't really do a lot of DIY jobs, but I have some tools and get the job done if needed.

I have recently purchased these dining chairs from Made.com and had big trouble assembling it.

I made a mistake picking a screwdriver that wasn't large enough. My drill has ruined one of the screws.

I have purchased this product to extract it. But it's too short to reach the screw.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0711YFGPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iP0yT3m.jpg

khd17fc.jpg

What can I do please?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
A left hand thread drill bit in a cordless drill would do it, about 4mm or 5mm probably.

As long as it's not a soft brass screw for example, apply a lot of pressure and turn the drill very slowly anti clockwise. It will snag and undo the screw.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252847091914

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you.

I have a reverse drill already. Could I just reverse it with a usual drill bit into it?
Probably not...

And if I bought the left-hand drill bits, do I then reverse or simply drill as usual?

just reverse it with a usual drill bit into it?

No, the cutting edges are facing the wrong way. They can't snag it anti clockwise.

do I then reverse

Yes. Literally as slowly as your drill will go, or you'll start actually drilling a hole in the the screw, you just want it to snag and undo.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic. Thank you so much! I will get those bits now.

Ah sorry, one more thing.

When I try to buy it, it needs the diameter. These screws are M4 x 40. What diameter do I pick?

Thanks,

Go for a 5mm I reckon, it's not really an exact science TBH.

Am I right in thinking the screws are underneath the chair, in which case, you could either enlarge the hole to get better access the the screw, or get hold of a longer screw adaptor.

Am I right in thinking the screws are underneath the chair, in which case, you could either enlarge the hole to get better access the the screw, or get hold of a longer screw adaptor.

You mean in order to use the screw extractor? Indeed this is also a possibility. I just checked on Ebay and the extensions are coming from China and won't be here by mid-Jan. But I found this.

Thanks

It might work, but there are loads of extractors on ebay, so how come you managed to order one from China.

But I found this.

The screw extractors you already have, have 4 different hexagonal sizes.
Those extensions you link to are all ¼ inch hex, are any of the extractors ¼ inch hex size?

Also, the black collar at the tip may also be too large a diameter to fit down the hole in the wood.

The screw extractors you already have, have 4 different hexagonal sizes.
Those extensions you link to are all ¼ inch hex, are any of the extractors ¼ inch hex size?

Also, the black collar at the tip may also be too large a diameter to fit down the hole in the wood.

Yes, I gave up on the idea. There is also a picture there that says, not suitable for double head bits. Hence it won't fit.

Just to test the hole size in the screw, I picked right-hand bits into my hands (no drill) and slowly inserted into the hole. 4.5 mm diameter is ok, but 5mm seems to have the most grip. So I think it makes sense to buy a 5mm left-hand bit.

does the screw actually need to come out?
could you use a 3-4mm straight head screwdriver to tighten it up more?

I’m assuming you are screwing the seat base to the chair? If so, remove all other screws, get the biggest drill bit you have and just drill the head off of that screw, remove the seat base and get a grip on what’s left of the screw with a pair of pliers/mole grips/whatever and remove it. Failing that, leave it where it is, drill a similar hole next to it and just put a screw in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back