How to remove a stripped screw from this chair?

does the screw actually need to come out?
could you use a 3-4mm straight head screwdriver to tighten it up more?

No, it doesn't have to come out. It has just to go in. This is a solid idea. I'll try that. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I’m assuming you are screwing the seat base to the chair? If so, remove all other screws, get the biggest drill bit you have and just drill the head off of that screw, remove the seat base and get a grip on what’s left of the screw with a pair of pliers/mole grips/whatever and remove it. Failing that, leave it where it is, drill a similar hole next to it and just put a screw in there.

That sounds like a last resort idea. I like that. Thank you.

Or even simpler, just stick another screw to the left of the washer in the first picture at a slight angle. Pick the size carefully though - you don’t want it to come out the other side!

Hey guys,

I did it!

I wanted to thank you all for participating and helping me.

zlFjoc2.jpg

The price goes to mattylad. I used a 3mm flat head screwdriver. But it was a tad too small. 4mm may have been better. I had to be very careful going at a very low speed.

The funny part is I went to Wickes (local DIY warehouse). One of the advisors said it was impossible after looking at the picture.
You wonder how on earth do they do a job for a living, from which they have no idea. There was a second advisor that genuinely tried to help, but honestly, without mentioning your tips from here, they couldn't have helped me.

I learned a lesson in life.
- Don't rush.
- Check that the Screw-driver bit fits the given screw 100% before even trying.
- Go slow at a low speed.

:mrgreen:

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
You're best of with a normal hand operated screwdriver 9 times out of 10 imho.

Can tell when it's driving the screw properly and no chance of it camming out and wrecking the fixings.

If you're screwing 50+ screws then that's a different matter.

I think there should be a sticky on extracting mashed up screws, there are lots of techniques. Much of it is an it depends! Elastic bands to left hand drill bits, flat head screwdrivers, cutting slots, screw extractors, drilling out... the list goes on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back