How to remove a toilet seat (worst design in the history of design)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am trying to remove a toilet seat (photos attached). It is a Tuscany BTW. There are no holes, no buttons, no caps and no obvious way to get into the nuts at all. My plan right now is to demolish the entire toilet, which seems excessive for a wobbly seat. All thoughts gratefully received!

Attachments

• PXL_20210907_173027081.jpg
    PXL_20210907_173027081.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 178
  • PXL_20210907_173014213.jpg
    PXL_20210907_173014213.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 164
  • PXL_20210907_172951221.jpg
    PXL_20210907_172951221.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
Looks like the chromed parts should be 'knocked" towards the middle of the gap in the seat. Once that's done it will release the seat and give access to the base fixings that are fixed to the porcelain.

I think the chrome parts should slide inwards to take them off, revealing the screws below

Sponsored Links
If you look under the toilet do you have two holes which are blocked by 'rubber' fittings. If so the rubber fitting are probably expanding gripper plugs which are squeezed by tension screws in the thin base plates on which the seat hinges are slid. Note that if it's a 'posh' toilet the holes may not be visible from the underside.

Looks like the chromed parts should be 'knocked" towards the middle of the gap in the seat. Once that's done it will release the seat and give access to the base fixings that are fixed to the porcelain.

I can see what you mean. But when I've tried knocking it using a hammer and screwdriver, the whole chrome block moves, so nothing seems to be sliding off.

1. Have you checked for any grub screws in the rear of the fixing blocks securing the chrome caps to the blocks mounted to the pan above the white rubber seals?
2. Somebody put it on, so it must be possible to take it off.
3. I suspect your third photograph holds the key. It is clearly made in two parts, the upper, larger, decorative chrome cap, and the base of which you can see the outline. The only reason for making them separate parts is to enable them to be separated.

Bigger hammer and I'd suggest a suitably shaped pice of wood rather than a screwdriver. The sliding surfaces are probably stuck together with corrosion products (pee salts) and just need a bit of persuasion.

Edit : Forget that idea, looking at the photos it's clear the upper chromed section (the saddle) will not slide towards the centre area.
Can you take a photo of the end of the seat to confirm that the pivot rod isn't inserted through the seat into the chromed saddle, and then perhaps a blanking cap fitted to seal the rod in.

As has been said, it went together so there must be a means of it comming apart.

Last edited:
Cant see from pics, but is there a button under seat which releases it from hinges?
If there is, you'll be able to access them from the top.

People who design things like this should be hanged, publicly.

If you look under the toilet do you have two holes which are blocked by 'rubber' fittings. If so the rubber fitting are probably expanding gripper plugs which are squeezed by tension screws in the thin base plates on which the seat hinges are slid. Note that if it's a 'posh' toilet the holes may not be visible from the underside.

There's a couple of plugs on the side at the bottom. Nothing in there though.

Probably held in place by a few years of fine. Give it a liberal dose of WD40 and try again

Are there clips that slide in and hold the hinge together. The 3rd pic shows a separate fillet. Can you pry that out with a small screwdriver?

Update: I tried the WD40+slide route. It didn't work because it turns out that the bottom part of the chrome fitting is not a slider but some kind of cap (picture attached). There's nothing obvious on the inside though, so it just seems decorative. Also, the screw joining the seat to the basin is on the outer edge of the fitting, so it can't slide inwards. I hate this seat so much.

Attachments

• PXL_20210908_075624747.jpg
    PXL_20210908_075624747.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 75

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back