How to remove black stains from Teracotta tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been "googling" this for hours and am making no progress so any help appreciated! I laid some Parafeuille tiles (basically just teracotta tiles) about 5 years ago in our hallway and kitchen. When they were laid I sealed them with linseed oil and white spirit to stop any salts coming through. I noticed after a couple of years, however, that there were black spots appearing on the tiles by the front door and around the kitchen sink. I am thinking that this is where water has just sat on the surface of the tile. My memory isn't great these days, but I dont think I used any additional sealer when they were laid. Last year I tried to scrub out the black spots that had appeared and then applied some sealer. This has probably just sealed in the black spots (maybe a mould)?!

So what I am trying to work out is does any of this make any sense, and if so is there a product I should use to remove the black spots and then reseal so it doesnt happen again?

As you can probably tell I ain't no expert!

Thanks for any help you can provide

Gilbert

Sponsored Links
They should be sealed very 2 or 3 years. Not just the once. Try some Stone Stain Remover on the black spots. Don't use bleach or anything like that. Go to your local tile shop (not BnQ or Wickes etc) and get a reputable brand.

Whilst your there you can pick up the sealer too. Should be good for awhile then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back