How to remove large trees & preparation tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on what to consider when removing large trees. I have a piece of land i'm going to have cleared to build a house on and it has 6 or 7 scots pine trees quite tall, guessing between 6 and 10m tall. Theres plenty of room to fell them but how do you remove the stump and roots afterwards?

Should so much be left out for a digger to get hold of and lever it out easier?
Do the roots of these trees cause any disease if not fully removed from the ground like some do.

Theres also a lot of mature rhododendron needs size reduced and dug out.

Sponsored Links
Does the site have planning permission? What is the site currently, is it currently a garden/field/woodland etc? You might need to get a felling licence?

Its currently a woodland and i have full planning permission with 7 trees to fell. I was told no license because there wouldnt be enough timber to require it

Last edited:
IMO best bet is to get the guy doing the groundworks to say what's works for him, maybe he would want to push them over with the machine

Sponsored Links
I will do, just wondered if theres different options, they are usually shallow rooted but spread quite far.

Ill be getting a few ground work quotes so ill see what they say.

Theres plenty of room to fell them but how do you remove the stump and roots afterwards?.

Get a bulldozer and push them over and the stump and roots get ripped out at the same time

This was suggested by someone, would this mean felling them higher up leaving more of a stump sticking out instead of close to the deck

When I saw it done the guy was driving a cat D8 or D9 tracked bulldozer with a split bucket, I believe they weigh 30 or 40 tons. He was pushing the whole thing over and then lifting onto the biggest bonfire I have ever seen. The trees where mainly pine with 600mm dia trunks and 50/60 feet tall.

Last edited:
I need to see how hight the trees are, been a while since i looked. So he used the digger for a full tree, no cutting first? they sound quite big, some of these are a good size but i don't remember that tall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back