Tree removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im needing to replace the fence behind my trees but the trees need removing first. They are conifers around 8/9ft tall(60ish). Do these types of conifer have deep roots and need a mini digger to remove or are they likely to have a small root ball? I think they may be leylandi. Next part is how to get rid of the trees that are dug out, is this type of tree ever wanted for log burners or is it likely to cost a fortune to dispose of them?

Sponsored Links
The scourge of mankind, these things......the roots are generally shallow but get a massive grip on the ground, and they interlock everywhere.
No value for timber burning I'm afraid.....more bother than they are worth.
John :)

Leylandii are absolutely hated - and that's because they are mostly never managed properly. They're like big hulking teenagers thinking they own the place, so they need strict rules to curb them. Then they're fine, and they make brilliant screens from noisy or nosy neighbours.

They MUST be trimmed once a year, as soon as (or a bit before) they reach their desired size. Don't leave it any longer than this, or you risk cutting into second year wood, and cupressus will never sprout from anything older than one year old wood.

kev25v6 -it would be easier to leave them in place and manage them carefully than trying to get them out, which would be a big job. But if you must, hire a decent commercial chipper for the day - something like a Jensen towable hydraulic chipper. The chipped material makes a good mulch if you can find someone who wants it. If not, I would think a 6m skip would take all the chipped material from what can be seen in your pic. A small chainsaw will do to get them down - the wood is quite soft.
Hope this helps.

The trees are definitely coming out, trimming them down is starting tomorrow night. I'm going to start on taking all the branches off, just leaving the full trunk so it will hopefully lever out the root ball. Had a quick look at a few panel choices this afternoon and a double boarded panel looks the best option. Just got to see how the fencer will sort out the hight difference across the garden to match in with the back neighbours fencing. There is about a foot difference across 10 panels length.

Sponsored Links
Took some stumps out for a customer some time ago. She had got ton someone in to cut down the trees which were a similar size to yours. As has been pointed out they aren't that deeply rooted but still a pain. I dug around the root ball and used a reciprocating saw to lop off any thick roots giving me the ability to lever them out. With regards to disposal I was in luck when a wanted ad came up on free cycle for someone want tree stumps to form a stumpery.

is this type of tree ever wanted for log burners or is it likely to cost a fortune to dispose of them?

They might be wanted by someone who had room to store them. I've burnt leylandii successfully in a stove, but it does need to be seasoned for two years at least.

You get a lot of useless brash as well, that's the inconvenient part. And leylandii is horrible to handle: it covers you in dark, sticky resin and can cause dermatitis.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back