How to remove old oil tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Ive hacked away loads of undergrowth and found an old disused oil tank! I dont think theres any oil left in it.
How do I go about removing it? Is it worth anything for scrap metal? Would anyone pick it up free of charge?
Thanks

IMG_0101.JPG

Sponsored Links
I got rid of one years back on ebay. Not sure who bought it really as I never met them, just left it on the driveway to collect. I moved it around using "full round" and "half round" fencing posts as rollers and levers. Clearly, the thing needs to be empty first.
full

full

Nozzle

Last edited:
Thanks Noz. How much did you get for it?
Is draining it simply a matter of snipping the line and putting a bucket underneath to collect any remnants of oil?

Make sure no one informs environmental as they'll come snooping cause it's classed as hazardous
as it's had an inflammable liquid in it.Bob

Sponsored Links
I didn't empty it as it was already empty. Best thing you can do is pump & filter it into your new tank. I can't remember what I sold it for, but that didn't matter to me - I wanted it gone as it was a liability rather than an asset. If someone takes a liability off your hands, even for free, it's a bonus.

Nozzle

Even clean scrap steel isn't worth much at the moment - about 5p a kilo last time I looked - so even if your tank wasn't contaminated with oil you'd only get about a fiver for it. You might find someone willing to pick it up if they're passing, but they aren’t going to make a special trip without payment

If you have only a few litres left in the bottom, you could put it in the engine oil canister at your local tip. DO NOT tip it down a drain, ANY drain, onto land or in any water course.

Nozzle

Hmmm, Ive just stuck a stick in the tank to see if theres any oil in there and it seems to be full of water! Its full of something... it doesnt smell so I assume its water.
Would this have been purposefully done for some reason? I cant see how all that water would have got in there unless someone had put it in there.

Any oil in there will float on top - is there a film on your dip stick?

Nozzle

A few years ago scrapyards would only take them if cut in half.
A passing Pie Key with a Hiab might take it.

Tie a small piece if rag on a stick and dip just below surface , take away from tank and see if it lights.
litl
Yes, tried that last night. It newspaper burnt a bit and then went out when it got to the bit I dipped in. Im going to try again becuase it was dark and windy when I did this and I know oil wont light straight away like petrol.

It may have been filled with water with the intent of using it as a water tank for the garden, but its still connected to the boiler! I can see no sign of a leak, it must have been put in there purposefully.

I suppose I could cut the line and drain it, but I dont think thats a good idea from an environmental point of view; and also having that amount of water draining off so close to the property. Not sure what to do!

Kerosene at low temperatures or not atomized only burn with the aid of a catalyst,eg ,a rag.
Tanks If correctly installed are sited with a slight fall to the rear so water can be drained off. there should be a hex cap with drain cock inside it if yours has been.
Your local oil company can advise you on emptying but will cost...old oil tanks are a liability?

Probably full of water to stop the tank from going Bang if someone put a flame around the tank or dropped a match in the tank. I'm sure you have seen the results of people using an angle grinder to cut the top off of old oil drums to use as incinerators (http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/hot-cutting-oil-drum-residual-vapour.htm) although in the clip he's using a 'gas-axe'. Guess it's an insurance company advice.

From the daily *ail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sparked-sawed-oil-drum-half-make-DIY-BBQ.html

If you are going to cut it up then make sure you do it with a tool that doesn't create sparks.

Last edited:
Probably full of water to stop the tank from going Bang if someone put a flame around the tank or dropped a match in the tank. I'm sure you have seen the results of people using an angle grinder to cut the top off of old oil drums to use as incinerators (http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/hot-cutting-oil-drum-residual-vapour.htm) although in the clip he's using a 'gas-axe'. Guess it's an insurance company advice.

From the daily *ail http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sparked-sawed-oil-drum-half-make-DIY-BBQ.html

If you are going to cut it up then make sure you do it with a tool that doesn't create sparks.
Hmm, yes, makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back