Pump to transfer oil to new tank and pump for priming system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Further to my earlier post "Moving oil tank and use of de-aerator", can anyone recommend a cheap pump that I can use to transfer oil from an old metal oil tank to a new plastic tank.

Also, I will need a pump to prime the system, so if it was also capable of being connected to the 10mm pipe and used as a priming pump that would be great. Alternatively can anyone suggest a cheap pump for priming.

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Black and Decker did do a small plastic pump some years ago driven with an electric drill. about £10. I'm fairly sure it is suitable for oil otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I recall rigging it up on board and using clear plastic hose about 1/2 bore and trying it with water just to see how good the delivery was.
Machine Mart I think do a hand operated pump, but it will be more than £10.
When I replaced my steel tank I drained the oil off into a 10 litre container.
The replacement tank was plastic and placed at ground level which meant the oil level varies from about 1.5 ft to 4.5 ft below boiler pump level.
The pump is capable of drawing well over this.
I fitted a 10mm tee in the delivery pipe about a foot from the tank, I used a short piece of 10mm pipe, followed with a 10mm valve, followed by more 10mm pipe, followed by plastic tube to a small home made tank.
I positioned the tank a 3 to 4 feet higher than boiler pump to eliminate any problem from air lock. I now had a oil supply higher than boiler pump which made starting boiler easy. Once running it was simple to switch back to main oil tank.
That was eleven years ago, still use valve and tube to check oil level with boiler stopped. small tank discarded.
:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back